Saturday, January 7, 2017

Run on.

I am proud to say that in 2016, I ran 5 half-marathons! I never imagined myself running one, never mind more than one.  To think back to 2014 when I struggled so hard to run to the end of my street.  I remember starting couch to 5K for the billionth time, and when I got to the part where I had to run for 5 minutes, I couldn't do it.  I just could not.  After I registered for my first half (it was the Disney princess in 2015), I just kept running.  Having a goal on the horizon definitely helps keep me focused.  I am still not a fast runner, but I have come to so much more acceptance of that fact than ever before.  When I come home from a 10 mile run, no matter how long the damn miles took me, I just feel so accomplished and empowered. I can honestly say I love running now.  I don't by any means love every run, and to be honest, running is still hard. It is something I want to keep doing though, so for now, I will.  

Since my blogging fell to the wayside, and I didn't recap each race, here are some photos of the races I did last year.  

Started the year with the Houston half-marathon in January.  It it a great race that I can't wait to do again.  Super flat and amazing crowd support.  I think I may have still been blogging a bit when I did this one.

My sentiments, exactly:


A medal and a beer.....ahhhhh

A few weeks later, I ran the Katy half-marathon.  It was a redemption race (so to speak) for my amazing running friend, and I loved running this with a friend!  



Next up was the Disney Princess! This year I did the Glass Slipper challenge, which means I ran the 10K on Saturday and then the 1/2 marathon on Sunday.  The best part of running, and I mean BEST, is running friends and destination races creating the most fabulous girls weekends.  We had a complete blast, and so so so so so many laughs. Loved every minute of it. We won't discuss how this half was my absolute worst--I cried twice right in the middle of it.  Ha!

The awesome shoe tag my bff gave me this weekend:



Post-race hangry faces:


Something about disney races makes me want to wear silly outfits: 



Hands down the most fabulous, focused, fun group of ladies! 


A hug from my boy on the course! 





Another girls weekend opportunity? OK, yes please!
I traveled to Cincinnati, OH to run the Flying Pig half-marathon with some more amazing girl friends.  The dreaded Flying Pig is nothing but hills and bridges, but thanks to a very patient running friend/coach, I made it to the finish line faster than I thought I would.   






My last half-marathon of the year!  Our fabulous friends from Texas flew in and we all had a blast of a running weekend.  My 8 year old ran his first 5 K (he hated it) with me, and then C and I ran the half the next day.  The little kids even ran the little kid dashes.  It was a cold weekend, but it felt good to get back out there after many hot months off!















Oh those hills.  I hate them all. 

Can't wait to run some races in 2017!  I have less of them planned, but I have my eye on finishing a FULL MARATHON in December.  
And I am terrified.  😉

No comments:

Post a Comment