Saturday, January 14, 2017

Running with Heart

I once read a quote (I think it was a meme on Pinterest or some such) that said,
 "when your legs quit, run with your heart".

It really hit me that there is such truth in that. I can't tell you how many runs happen where I am positive my legs will absolutely not carry me another mile, and then somehow, they do.  The only explanation for it really is that at some point my heart just carries me.  Look, I never in a million years thought I'd easily run a mile, so when I get out there and hit a bunch of miles? Every single time, it's emotional and fills my heart.

For the first probably year that I took up running, I ran alone.  I was very intimidated by running with other people.  What if I'm the slowest? What if I have to stop?  What if they all realize I'm an impostor and not actually a runner?  It's just all too much to worry about.  At some point, I started running with people.  And what I have realized is this: runners are the most kind, caring, and encouraging group of people.  They run with their heart. They WANT other people to enjoy the run.  They don't mind slowing down sometimes.  And let me tell you also, a mile goes by a whole hell of a lot faster, with company.  Even if it's actually slower.

So anyway, today was a big day for me.  8 months ago I joined a facebook group of the local Moms Run This Town group.  I joined it, and then I never went on a single run with them.  Way too much uncomfortable social anxiety there.  Today, I joined them. And do you know what? Holy crap, they were the nicest group of ladies! I had to get 11 miles done today (I do loosely following a training schedule) and it was amazing to do 11 miles with company.  The first 6 miles, I was towards the front of the group, the last 5 miles, I was at the very back of the group.  And hey guess what? It didn't matter! These ladies were kind and gracious and they didn't care if I ran an 11:15 minute mile or a 13 minute mile.  So phew, that hurdle has been crossed and now I know I should have gone sooner!


And about those 11 miles.  I am so proud of myself.  Do you know what? It is ok, even great, to be proud of yourself! When you accomplish something, take pride in it.  I was proud because I have had a rough week.  I had 2 days of really bad migraines, and then I have been struggling with weakness all over.  Just as I had decided maybe I was dying (and google did in fact concur with that), I thought hey maybe it's actually my diet.  I have been hella strict on my current 24 day challenge (oh hi, I lost 9 pounds in 10 days!).  Maybe not eating quite enough, I don't know how to explain it.  Anyway, on Thursday I ran 2.5 miles, and it was supposed to be 3, but my legs were dead.  I could barely lift them.  I was definitely missing something.  So knowing I had an 11 miler this weekend, yesterday I drank some extra electrolytes (I like Advocare rehydrate and also Nuun tablets), and I ate 3 bananas. And magically, my legs worked today! 
 And when my legs quit on me at mile 10?
Well then I just used my heart.  💓

That's me still smiling after 11 miles.  😉

1 comment: