Thursday, February 5, 2015

Run!

Like a turtle!  But by damn, RUN!

Last year, probably around March, I decided to give the old couch to 5K yet another go.  And hindsight is 20/20 folks, but I wish I had kept track of my progress.  When I started I struggled to finish a 1 minute run.  3 minutes felt like an eternity.  And the day I turned on my training plan to see that I had to run 20 minutes, consecutively, I may have thrown up a little in my mouth.  I have never been a runner.  I have started this program at least 5 times.  I have completed it once or twice, always to quit running again after finishing a 5K.

This time was different.  I felt a fire people.  It lit up under me and I decided to keep going.  Why continue to tell the world and myself that running just isn't in me? Running just wasn't something I could accomplish?  I was over 200 freaking pounds and I was doing it, and dammit, I wanted to get better.  The day I decided to stop quitting was the day I decided I am worth it. I can do it.  I will do it.  
And then the crazy took over and I signed up for a half-marathon. Ha! I still don't know what got into me, but it is coming up soon.  This month I will run a half marathon.  It is unthinkable really.  

On Christmas morning 2014, I woke up and ran 3 miles.  It was actually a rather difficult 3 miles.  It was 3 miles full of doubt.  I had been injured, gone through PT, gotten the flu, suffered from kidney stones and stent placements and pain in the months prior.  I was feeling defeated. I didn't want to run.  I wanted to quit. 

I wanted to quit.

I wanted to quit.  But I didn't.  I ran.  I told myself I would do it. And I did.


And the funny thing about not quitting?  You actually really do get better.  You get more stamina, more endurance and yes, more fire under your ass.

Until this happened:




I found I love running solo.  In the event I need a companion, I have one readily available.



My first half marathon is in 17 days.  It's no longer IF I finish one, it is WHEN I finish one.  Because I actually now believe it is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment