Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Workout share!

I have been running a lot, obviously, in preparation for my very first 1/2 marathon.
Did I really just say that?! I still cannot believe this is happening.  It is a week and a half away and I still can't fathom that *I* am about to run a 1/2 marathon.  That is 13.1 miles for those keeping track. 

I run 3 days a week most weeks, and every week have good intentions to do other exercise on a few more days of the week.  And lately, man have those plans gotten interrupted.  Sick kids mostly, that's a common hold up in the life of a mom. 

Anyway, yesterday I actually made it to the gym and it wasn't a run day. I had a loose plan in my head, but mostly I made it up as I went along, and it turned out to be a pretty kick ass workout, so I thought I'd share.  

I started off by doing 20 minutes on a spin bike.  I wanted to try an HIIT (high intensity interval training workout), so it looked like this:
5 minute warm up

15 second all out sprint
45 second recovery
Times 12

Cool down for a few minutes.

That's it.  

I wanted to get some upper body weights in.  I know lower body weights would be great for runners, but this close to race day I didn't want to make my legs sore or anything.  Right before leaving for the gym, a friend posted this video on her Facebook page and I knew I wanted to try it.  
(when you see my weights, keep in mind I haven't lifted in a while, so I didn't want to go too heavy or anything crazy.)

Chest press with just bar (45lbs)
3 sets of 12

The shoulder moves in this video:
I only used a 20 lb bar and did 3 sets of 10. My shoulders were burning though.

Biceps curls
30 lb bar, 3 sets of 12

Tricep skull crushers
20 lb bar, 3 sets of 12

Then I moved down to the stretching area, did 
3 30 second planks and some bridges, stretched myself out and done.  
Loved it.  Hopefully after next week I can get into some lifting again.  It really reminded me how much I just love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment